12.18.2008

Let it snow!


This week the normally moderate temperatures in the Seattle area dropped, and so did some snow. Since we don't see much snow around these parts, we went out and had a little fun.
Sahara seemed to like the snow and had fun playing in it. Gavin's game for anything and loves being outside, so he was happy too.
It's supposed to be cold and/or snow most days this week leading up to Christmas, so we may actually have a white Christmas. In any case, the whole area has been in a bit of a panic. Few here know how to drive in snow and the cities and counties aren't equipped to plow snow when it does fall. Earlier this week many schools let out at just the possibility of snow. It didn't come, but the mere thought was enough to scare admins into canceling. Nobody here really believes me when I tell stories about how much it snowed in Idaho where I grew up, and how the school superintendent would drive the bus routes early in the morning on snow days. If he made it back, school was on. I remember bouncing around in school buses as we broke through drifts and bottomed-out in deep snow.

Anyway, it's been nice to have snow on the ground and roads for a few days. It feels good to me. It feels natural and right. Enough of the gloomy wet weather. I love the feeling of driving on snow, of feeling the road instead of hearing it as you move along. I also like the dryness in the air when the temperatures are below freezing. It's a slice of authentic winter, and I'm enjoying it.

No comments:

"When first I held you in my arms, if I had only known, the years would feel like moments..."

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers