1.27.2008

President Hinckley Died


This post is a bit off-topic than what we usually write, but I felt it was appropriate under the circumstances.

This evening I got a call from my Dad saying that President Hinckley had died and there were a few articles up online about it. We had friends just leaving our house tonight after dinner, and hadn't heard anything about it. I quickly looked on www.lds.org; there was nothing. The SL Tribune had an article, but that's all I could find for a while. The Deseret News website was down -- probably from the server being too busy. Later on tonight, I found the official news link on www.lds.org -- here it is. President Hinckley's passing should be there on the first page.

http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/

The first thing I thought of was how happy I was for President Hinckley that he now was with his beloved eternal companion (Marjorie died shortly after the April 2004 General Conference). If anyone deserved to be with their eternal companion in the life to come, it would be him. As President of the Church, he really moved along the work -- making great strides in Church communication--taking advantage of new technology, and the building of many new temples around the world, to name a few things he did. He was really called of God to lead our Church through the last 12 years, and he'll be missed by many in the world, members and non-members alike. But just like when Joseph Smith, the first prophet of our dispensation, died, the work will still move on. This is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and our next leader will be called by God, just as the last prophets have been, and the truth will roll forth.

No comments:

"When first I held you in my arms, if I had only known, the years would feel like moments..."

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers