We let Sahara watch some TV, but mostly online -- we have no cable -- and one of her newest favorite shows is Ni Hao, Kai-Lan on Nick Jr. It has the same concept as Dora or Diego, but with Mandarin. Of course, it is difficult to pronounce most of what Kai-Lan says -- I can't even begin to try -- but Sahara's picked up a saying from Kai-Lan. The other day, Sahara kept saying "My heart is super happy." We thought she had come up with this abstract thought by herself, but I just looked it up, and from Wikipedia it says: Before saying good-bye (at the end of each episode), Kai-lan says, "You make my heart feel super happy."
I guess I just haven't paid enough attention to this show. I always sit with Sahara during her TV time (when possible, sometimes I step away to care for a dirty diaper or something), but sometimes I tune out. Well, most of the time...
But Sahara is sure cute!



2 comments:
Naomi watched this show for awhile, too, but we had some problems with it. Kai-lan's friends have problems during each episode, and she solves their problems. (Jealousy, impatience, etc.) Unfortunately, Naomi has picked up on some of the bad habits instead of the good ones. Instead of figuring out how to be patient as advised by Kai-lan's grandpa, she started imitating the impatient behavior ("I want it NOW").
Interesting. I have noticed Sahara demanding things "now" a lot lately. Maybe there's a connection. I'd hate to take away the only show that teaches her Mandarin though. Conversely (and looking a few years ahead), I'd love to find a school that teaches Chinese instead of French, Spanish and German, which are increasingly obsolete languages.
Post a Comment