8.21.2010

High adventure at Snow Lake

This month's campout with the Scouts was a hike up to Snow Lake, nestled among the clouds and granite peaks above Snoqualmie Pass. This popular hike did not disappoint, nor did the fact that we hit the trail early in the morning and beat the glut of hikers that we passed on our way back down.
The morning began gray and cloudy, which made for cool hiking. Just before we hit the ridge overlooking the lake, the sun broke though and gave us some amazing views of the mile-long, green-blue lake. Our timing couldn't have been better, we enjoyed the sun as we explored the far side of the lake and took a lot of pictures. Ninety minutes later, the clouds returned.
I've been a Scoutmaster for about a year now, which is undoubtedly the best calling in the church. What other calling can you build a program that fosters youth leadership while providing a friendly proving ground for the young men to put into action the things they learn in church? 50% of young men in the church will go inactive between the ages of 12 and 18. For those engaged in Scouting, the numbers are much sunnier.
This spring I attended Wood Badge, the BSA's 6-day, premier leadership training program. It was, among many other things, inspirational and fortified my determination to build the Scouting program in our ward into high quality, self-sustaining tradition. On frustrating days, I realize that achieving this goal is a marathon, not a sprint.

No comments:

"When first I held you in my arms, if I had only known, the years would feel like moments..."

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers